Saturday, February 18, 2012

Going into labor? Not this time!

So yesterday I was called by one of my nurses because I had taken a test the previous day that detects hormones that are released a few days before you go into labor. It came back positive. So with the hormones and the contractions they figured my body was trying to go into preterm labor so they told me I needed to go to the hospital to be monitored.

They went straight into the Labor and Delivery unit where they had a room for me. They hooked me up to the monitors and just told me to relax and that they would be back in a little while. As the nurse came in and out of the room checking the monitor, she explained what was going on. I was have regular and consistent contractions. Luckily the baby didn't sound like he is under any stress. His heart rate was perfect.

I was sent to Maternal Fetal Medicine for them to do an ultrasound on the baby and along of my cervix. Baby again looks perfect! Making it well known once again that he IS a boy. They then did an ultrasound of my cervix to make sure it wasn't thinning out and that I wasn't dilating. My cervix was closed and thick, which was great news! They still wanted to monitor me though because it could potentially change.

Once we got back into our room, they hooked me up to the monitors again and our doctor came in to explain what he was thinking about what everything meant. On our monitor they had my contraction tracker and the girl in the room next to me's tracker to compare. The girl in the room next to me was in labor. My contractions were similar just much smaller bumps. They were almost as regular as that girl's contractions too. What concerned the doctor was that I had been there for a while relaxing and that they weren't slowing down or going away. They decided to put me on some medication to try and calm my uterus. After a few more hours it looked like the medicine was working a little. I wasn't having as many contractions. The doctor felt safe saying I could go home on strict bed rest and taking this medication every 8 hours.

Come to find out, I had been having contractions for a few weeks now and just thought it was the baby. I thought he must have been stretching as big as possible, but actually it wasn't him, it was me. They were pretty irregular though until about a week ago. I also just figured it was ligament pain. For some reason, my uterus is trying to fight the stretching and just wanting the baby out now. Not ok with me. I'd like our baby to stay in cooking for a while longer. So now I am once again on bed rest. The doctor is hoping this will stop my uterus from over reacting. We will go in to see my doctor on monday or tuesday to get monitored once again. That is the latest update.

No comments:

Post a Comment